Infectious disease experts are emphasizing that coronavirus causes an illness that is highly contagious through respiratory transmission. You can protect your own health as well as the health of your family members and community by remembering the following:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Follow strict adherence to local rules related to sheltering in place. Go out into the public only when necessary. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Practice social-distancing. If in a small crowd of people, stay at least 6 ft away from another individual.
- Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cough into your elbow, or cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, and throw the tissue in the trash immediately.
- Wash your hands often—especially after touching public areas, such as doors, handles, shopping carts, elevator buttons, etc., or use an antibacterial gel consisting of at least 60% alcohol. Use either soap and water, or alcohol-based hand gel for at least 20 seconds.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a disinfecting household cleaning spray or wipe.